What is the basic responsibilities of a person who gets appointed as a Section 19 in a company?
Please find below the contents of a basic Section 19 appointment that indicates the responsibility of the person signing the appointment:
As the chairperson of the Health and Safety committee, you shall be required to perform the following functions:
- Scheduling committee meetings.
- Ensuring that all committee members are notified of meetings.
- Distributing the agenda for the meetings.
- The committee shall make recommendations on matters affecting the Health and Safety of any person in the designated area of the workplace to the employer, or the inspector, when required.
- Any incident in terms of the Act will be discussed and reported on.
- The minutes of each Health and Safety committee meeting shall be recorded and endorsed by you.
- Ensuring that copies of the minutes are distributed to all members and displayed on all health and safety notice boards.
- Attending health and safety management meetings to discuss committee recommendations.
- Giving feedback regarding management decisions for recommendations to the committee.
- Keeping records of all minutes, recommendations and change implementations.